The iPhone 8 is probably Apple’s most anticipated phone since the original came out in 2007. It’s the iPhone‘s 10th birthday this year, and everyone’s been asking the question: what is the new iPhone going to be like?
Well, in a massive leak by three alleged Foxconn employees, a thread on Reddit gave away tons of information on what we can expect from the next iPhone. Moderators on the Reddit thread verified the posters’ identities as Foxconn employees, so, if what they’re saying is true, this information is completely legit.
Here’s everything they told us about the new iPhone:
- The phone will have a new dual rear camera with vertical alignment and cutting-edge depth perception.
- The front bezel will be thinner than ever before – possibly even non-existent.
- There won’t be a version of the phone with a rear fingerprint scanner.
- Apple’s calling it the ‘iPhone X’…but this might just be a code-name. Other sources have said that Apple will be releasing three phones this year: the iPhone 7S, and iPhone 7S Plus and probably be a third phone, the iPhone 8, releasing sometime before Christmas.
- The phone will have facial recognition and a retina scanner.
- RAM will stay at 3GB. They’re not going to go bigger than that.
- The aluminum bodies of the iPhone 5-7 will be replaced with “composite glass”
- The phone will be water-resistant, just like the iPhone 7, though it’s unclear whether or not this means that the resistance will be improved. It will likely be able to withstand rain, spills, and brief immersion, though – which is something we all could use.
- There will be no USB-C port. Apple’s still going with Lightning.
- The camera will have multiple “front-facing camera modules”.
- Production is delayed.
- It looks a little like this:
The phone’s also rumored to have a curved OLED display, a 5.8-inch edge-to-edge screen, and no home button. The new display should help the phone use less energy, and thus have a longer battery life. It’ll also have better contrast, more true-to-life colors, and is better suited for VR and AR technology. Apple CEO Tim Cook loves the idea of augmented reality, so we can probably expect the new iPhone to have some sweet VR capabilities.
If Apple does decide to ditch the home button and bezel entirely, then they’ll probably replace it with a ‘function area’ made up of virtual keys.
The phone is also expected to have not one, but two batteries that will both be able to charged wirelessly. Apple may even offer a wireless charger that works up to 15 feet away, with no contact required between the phone and its power source.
As far as the price goes, it’s rumored that the iPhone 7S will cost around the same as the iPhone 7, going for about $649 in the US. The iPhone 7S Plus is not expected to change from the iPhone 7 Plus price of $759. As far as the iPhone 8 goes…that’s really up in the air depending on what capabilities Apple decides to give the phone – especially if they choose to use a fancy curved display.
The next iPhone is expected to release sometime around September 8.