Snapchat’s versatility is part of the reason why it’s one of the world’s most popular social media apps. While Snapchat features such as filters, captions, and custom emojis are used by millions of people a day, there are options available in Snapchat that even the app’s power users don’t know about.
If you’re looking to do more with Snapchat than just add some cartoon ears to your profile picture, consider utilizing some of these often overlooked Snapchat features.
Access A Previously Removed Filter
For some reason, Snapchat loves to regularly rotate out old filters. While it makes sense that they’d want to constantly add new filters, we wish there was an easy way to access the old ones. While it’s not exactly “easy,” it is possible to access removed filters via some iPhone time travel.
- Open “Settings” on your iPhone and go to “General.”
- Here, open “Date and Time” and disable “Set Automatically.”
- 3. Change the date on your iPhone to any time your desired filter was available.
This should allow you to access old filters. The emphasis on should speaks to this trick’s unofficial status and sometimes wonky execution.
Add Multiple Filters to a Post
Given how easy and versatile this feature is, we’re surprised that more users don’t utilize it.
- Swipe right on a photo or video you want to add a filter to. Add whatever filter you’d like.
- Using your other hand, tap and hold the screen while swiping to add another filter. As long as the filter you want isn’t in the same category as the previous filter, you should be able to add it.
- On photos, you can add up to three filters. If you really want to, you can use the same method to add five filters to a video. However, since the extra ones relate to speed, five filters may not be desirable.
Read Snapchat Messages Without Anyone Knowing
Why you would want to read a message without the sender knowing is entirely your business. We’re just here to tell you how to do it.
- Open Snapchat and tap the “Chat” icon.
- Tap and hold the conversation you wish to access. Swipe right while holding.
- This should bring up a static preview of the message. So long as you hold your finger on it, the message will not be marked as read.
- Swipe left and remove your finger when you are finished.
Easily Locate Famous Snapchat Profiles
Snapchat is yet another social media service that gives special attention to its famous users. If you’re someone that wants to keep up with what your favorite athlete/actor/musician is posting on Snapchat, there’s a pretty easy way to see who is using the service.
All you have to do is search for “Official” in Snapchat’s search function. This will bring up a list of most official Snapchat accounts (which are usually reserved for celebrities of some kind).
If you’re looking for a specific account, you might find it easier to search for it elsewhere. However, this is a great tool for expanding your general followed list.
Utilize Snapchat’s Night Mode
Here’s a feature that most people stumble upon by accident.
It is actually possible to get your Snapchat app to take better low-light photos and videos. The problem with this feature is that Snapchat likes to automatically detect low light settings. As such, you may need to manipulate it a bit by using the app in a very dark area.
If you’ve successfully triggered the app’s night mode, you should see a moon icon in the top right of your photo/video.
Change the Color of a Single Object on a Photo
This is one of the coolest edits you can make on Snapchat. However, you first need to make sure your app is up to date in order to use it.
- Take a photo in Snapchat. On the edit screen, select the Scissors icon followed by the Tint Brush.
- Outline the area you wish to manipulate and select the color you want to change it to. Thanks to the color gradient slider, you can play around with quite a few options.
- Save and share the photo as usual. It should retain any edits you made.
Record a Video Without Using Your Hands
Yes, this is possible. No, it’s not as difficult as it sounds.
- Open “Settings” on your iPhone and go to “General.”
- Next, choose “Accessibility” and “Assistive Touch.” Activate Assistive Touch on this screen.
- Choose “Create New Gesture” and simply hold your finger on the create screen. When the bar on the bottom has filled, your gesture has been recorded. Save it and give it a name.
- Open Snapchat. There should be a new grey button on the screen. Tap this and select “Custom” followed by the name of your custom gesture.
- A new grey dot should appear. Drag this over the record button to begin hands-free recording.
This will limit your video to five seconds rather than eight due to the restrictions of the feature. However, it’s a great way to get group shots.
Turn an Emoji Into a Filter
Technically, this just lets you create custom color filters, but it’s surprisingly versatile
- Take your picture or video. Select the “Text Edit” option when you’re done and choose an emoji with a color you like.
- Next, use the pinch-out gesture to enlarge the emoji further. What you’ll want to do is ensure the emoji’s see-through pixels cover your image. This should eventually turn your screen into the color of the emoji.
This trick works better with some emojis than others. However, it should work with most primary colors.
Record Six 10-Second Videos At Once
It’s not possible to record a 60-second video on Snapchat, but you can record six 10-second videos.
To do so, simply keep your finger on the record button for sixty seconds. Snapchat will then divide your footage into separate 10-second videos that can be edited as normal.
While this isn’t a great way to record a minute-long video, it can be useful if you’re trying to ensure you capture the perfect moment.
Generally speaking, if there’s a feature that you feel should be a part of Snapchat that doesn’t seem to be included, there’s probably a way to pull it off. The app is designed in such a way as to reward those users that venture off the beaten menu paths and try unusual things.
Have you found any useful Snapchat features that take more than a button press to perform? Let us know about them in the comments below.