Sometimes when we take video on iPhone or iPad, it’s easy to accidentally turn our devices just slightly sideways in order to capture something. Unfortunately, if you do this before you start recording, it’ll result in a sideways captured video. While the Photos app on your iPhone or iPad doesn’t give you the option to rotate videos, that’s what the App Store is for!
There are a few apps in the App Store that give you the option to rotate videos you took in the wrong orientation. Video Rotate and Flip by Wander Bit is my favorite because it’s easy to use and seems to pull in iCloud Photo Library videos, where some of the others seem to have trouble with that. This particular app also has an action extension so you can quickly rotate videos right inside the Photos app, making it even more convenient.
Rotating a sideways video with Rotate Video and Flip
There are a few options in Rotate Video and Flip beyond simply rotating videos. But if that’s your main objective, just follow these steps:
- Tap on the button in the upper left hand corner.
- Choose the video you’d like to rotate.
- Tap on the Rotate button in the bottom left hand corner. Keep tapping it until the video is in the desired orientation.
- Tap on the Share button in the upper right hand corner and save it.
- A new copy of the video will appear in your Photos app in the correct orientation.
Bonus tip: Use the action extension for faster rotation
Video Rotate and Flip supports action extensions for iPhone and iPad as well. That means you can activate the extension inside the Photos app and rotate video directly from there too. It does the same thing you can do in the app but just adds more convenience so you don’t have to jump between apps. To use the action extension, just follow these steps:
- Choose the video you want to edit in the Photos app.
- Tap on the Edit button (it looks like 3 dots).
- Tap on More to activate the extension and turn it on (you only need to do this the first time).
- Tap on the extension and rotate your video just like you would in the app.
- Choose Done at the top to save your changes.
Rotate Video and Flip is also useful for turning around backwards text and front facing camera videos. Just choose the flip horizontal or vertical options to completely flip the video in any direction.
- $0.99 – Download